Search This Blog

Friday, May 31, 2013

"Strife" - Abstract Painting Mixed Media on Canvas

Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable.” George Bernard Shaw

Turn on the television on any given day and examine what meets the eye - strife, greed,war of one kind or another, in the name of some noble sounding purpose or another.  I see hungry children dying. I see lives lost in the name of some jingoistic fervor, a horrible reality wrapped in fuzzy sounding abstract nouns like freedom and liberty.

I am a part of the system; the world is a reflection of me. I am a part of the whole but as I stand apart,  I realize that as a human being, I have insulated myself from the many uglinesses that we impose upon our fellow beings- war, death, hunger, torture.  I lose myself every day in the glitter and gaiety of my existence. I hide in the transient comfort of my secure life, seemingly far away from the strife that is actually very very close and personal.  I feel self righteous when I recycle my plastics and eat organic food to help "save the planet" or when I donate to a charity. I release my self from feeling any other pain because that would be the end of my glowing freedom. 



"Strife"11" by 14" Acrylic on Canvas


Close up 


No comments:

Post a Comment